Thursday, May 18, 2006

What I EAT

For some who are interested to know what I eat to sustain myself, here is a list.To date, I have eaten these various meats - Chicken, Beef, Pork, Turkey, Rabbit, Venison. I eat whole chickens (from the supermarket), everything, including internal organs, bones, and some skin. But mum removes all the excess fat. For Beef, I eat shoulders, ribs, shanks, steak, minced, chopped up stew pieces. For Pork, I've eaten ribs and meat pieces. Turkey, I eat necks and minced, and body parts. For rabbit, I've eaten the whole thing. They are kinda small and expensive, and you can imagine, rabbits aren't that easy to find in supermarkets... mum has to go to special stores to buy those. Venison is expensive too, so that's a "once in a blue moon" thing.

I also eat, raw eggs, boiled eggs, raw baby carrots, raw brocolli stems, and lettuce. For fruits, I like apples, pears, peaches, all kinds of berries. Occassionally, I am also allowed cheese, and cream cheese (I stole a tub full the other day), ice cream, bread edges, and food scraps (that my parents can't finish eating). Dad tells mum, "don't feed him rubbish human food", but mum says there's no harm doing so, and a little scrap food is what pariah dogs eat and nothing bad happens to them, so I get some.

In all, I'd say the percentage of food goes like this - 70-75% raw meat, 10% organs, 10% soft bones, 5-10% veggies and fruit. Mum has experimented on me, and the more bone in the diet, the better the stool becomes. But not too much either, there has to be a point when it gets excessive bone and I get irritable bowels. In a well balanced bone and meat diet, there is good definition, it is odourless, it is 1/3 or 1/2 the size of normal kibble fed dog's poop. If there are days when I am fed only meat and organs, my stool becomes soft, watery and sometimes looks like diarrhoea-like stool. The best thing is to include some soft bone in every meal, and the condition of the poop becomes very good.

Here are some books to read

1) Dr Pitcairn's Complete Guide to Natural Health for Dogs & Cats
[Overall health book]
2) Natural Nutrition for Dogs and Cats (The Ultimate Diet) by Kymythy Schultze
[BARF diet, quite good]
3) Raw Meaty Bones Promote Health by Tom Lonsdale
[RMB diet, my favorite resource guide]
4) Work Wonders - Feed Your Dog Raw Meaty Bones by Tom Lonsdale
[RMB diet, addition to the other book]

These are excellent websites to learn from,

1) http://rawfed.com
[One of the best raw fed websites I like to refer to. Scroll down to read the myths and other FAQs]
2) http://rawlearning.com
[Resource guide on how and why to feed raw, excellent site]
3) http://www.rawfeddogs.net
[My Favorite website, this guy is funny, he lists down recipes for raw diets]
4) http://www.wolfcountry.net/information/WolfPrey.html
[A brief look into the Wolf diet]
5) http://www.rawmeatybones.com
[Official Raw Meaty Bones website associated with the book]


These are the yahoo groups to join to learn more about the Raw Diet

1) http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rawfeeding
[Immense website for people who want to feed Raw Meaty Bones, they are quite strict in a sense that they don't promote feeding veggies, fruit or human food scraps]
2) http://groups.yahoo.com/group/RawPup
[Only Raw Meaty Bones for Puppies]
3) http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CarnivoreFeed-Supplier
[Supplier website for natural foods]
4) http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ADTnutrition
[Promotes BARF diet, Bones And Raw Food, they are not as strict or hardcore like the RMB list]
Good luck, and I hope all of your mums and dads strive hard to educate themselves so that they can make the best informed decisions so that you get high quality poop like me.

3 Comments:

At 1:12 PM, Blogger Monica Paulina Brown said...

:) That was helpful. I'd like to give our guy a good balance of foods, but with our schedules it will be hard. Thanks for inspiration!

 
At 5:07 AM, Blogger Liberty Doo Dah said...

Hey Kimi! Have you ever choked on anything? Mum put me on the raw diet when I came home at 8 weeks and it was so yummy and I ate it so fast, that I kept choking on things! Anyway, bums me out, but Mum couldn't handle it (too scary, she said) and now I'm eating Evo...I'd LOVE to be on raw again tho. Mum says that maybe when I get a little older and learn how to eat slower, I can go back to raw.

 
At 9:55 AM, Blogger Kimi Wagner said...

Hi Liberty, there is a technique to teach puppies to eat slower. Just give bigger pieces, that are bigger than mouths can handle. I've never choked on anything, I chew EVERTHING. This is because when I was a small pup (8 wks old) mum gave me a chicken thigh that was bigger than my head, or a chicken back. Bigger than my head too. It became a habit that I had to exercise my jaw muscles and gums and put those teeth to work everytime I eat something. I suggest your mum do the same thing for ya. You can start tomorrow if you like. Raw food is the best.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home