Sunday, February 12, 2006

My Very First Mountain Hike

Saturday was an exciting day for me. We woke up early and something was abuzz. Mum and Dad ate breakfast early and they fed me very quickly too. Then Juan arrived and then the Twins arrived too. The weather was great and I found out that we were heading to Rattlesnake Ledge. As I've mentioned in an earlier post, mum took me there to walk around Rattlesnake Lake on a ground level trail. Little did I know, that today would be the day I climb all the way up to the summit. This is my very first hike, and I'm so excited about it.

Location: Rattlesnake Ledge
Distance: 2 miles up, 2 miles down
Elevation Gain: 1,040 ft
Time: 4 hours
My Age: 11 Weeks Old

Walking on a main trail towards the trailhead with Juan, Daddy, the twins and Stephan

Walking with daddy on a loose leash. I'm getting really good at it, because we practice everyday.

Although I'm considered young, I was not wimpy or weak. I did very well, my tail was up the entire hike up, and the entire way down. Dad brought an extra backpack to carry me just in case I was too tired, but we never needed to use it. I was such a strong boy, and my stamina has been good because mum takes me on regular walks daily in our hilly neighbourhood. All that practice has come in handy. I didn't even pant or breathe hard, it was so pretty in the forest. I got to meet many new people who were hiking and I got to spend time with the twins and Juan, so it was great fun. Not to forget, smelling the trees, leaves, shrubs and forest winds was very refreshing too.

When we reached the summit, I was blown away by the beauty of the surroundings. The ledge was surrounded by 270deg views of the cascade mountains, and the skies were crystal blue and the winds were high. We couldn't stay there for too long although it was so beautiful.

First family portrait with mum and dad on Rattlesnake Ledge

Spending some quiet time with Juan at the summit

Daddy looks on while Juan blows kisses at me

Hiking with Daddy and Juan in the front

When we hiked past a stream, daddy encouraged me to drink from the mountain stream. The water was cold, but tastily refreshing.

At the end of the hike, I found me a nice light broken branch for chewing. I carried it a short distance to get mum's attention, that's when Daddy told mum to carry it home for me. Here, James and Louie tell me my branch is really cool. Wish they had one just like mine.

I also got to meet many many doggie friends. Most of them were bigger than me, but they were all very nice, sniffing my bum, letting me sniff their bums and saying hello, but many of their humans didn't know what I was. They asked, "What is he?", and my parents had to tell them I am an Airedale, and only 11 weeks old, they were mighty impressed that I was hiking at such a young age. "An Airedale?" They looked baffled. Guess Airedales are quite rare up here in Washington, that's why they didn't know how I'd look like.

Here are some photos of me and other fellow doggie hikers

At first mum and dad thought that I'd be dead beat by the time I got home, and they would finally have some rest. Mum was already sick with the flu and her whole body was aching, and her head too, but I was still very restless. I kept disturbind mum and dad and I was still so active, they just couldn't believe how a small pup like me still had so much energy after a 4 mile hike. Eventually, mum got so sick that they had to put me in a crate earlier at 10pm instead of our usual 11pm. I definitely had a very good night sleep.

1 Comments:

At 9:01 PM, Blogger Bogart H. Devil said...

Aw, you're such a cutie Kimi!!!

I love seeing your pictures and reading your blog!

Love,
Bogart

 

Post a Comment

<< Home