Saturday, June 27, 2009

Progress with my Cats

I've been making leaps and bounds with the progress with the cats in my house. As you all know by now, I've got 3 black cats as housemates. In the beginning when they first moved in, we were not getting along well. They would hiss at me constantly, and run away whenever I was around. And of course, their running only triggered my prey drive, and I would chase not knowing why.
But with time, and seeing them over and over, I got used to the fact that they are incredibly shy, and un-socialized, which explains why they display some anti-social behavior. I am the first dog that they've ever seen, because they are house cats. They hardly even interact with other humans, except their own. Living with these shy cats has also taught me to be patient in my approach. I learned to look away, and not stare at them, or posture myself too much. I have to keep reminding myself that they are NOT dogs. When I approach to sniff their butts in a d0g-friendly manner, they bend down and then run away, as if I was a danger.
Its been so warm, that Mum has been giving me ice cubes to cool down. I munch on them, and lick on them, and it feels very good on my tongue.
Me and my ice cube
Mum also gave the kitties an ice cube. They also licked at it and pawed at it, like it was a toy. Snuggles likes the ice cube more than Dozer does. Snuggles also has taken more initiatives to sniff me. I lay down and allow the cats to come up to me, to sniff my butt, tail, legs and back. I've come to understand that this is the only way I am able to get close to the cats, and so I try to be very still when they come close to me.
Here I am watching the cats play with their ice cube on a hot summer's day

I think the cats and I have come to the understanding, that neither of us are going away from this house, and we have to all live together harmoniously.

We've been able to stay close to each other, about a foot away from one another, and no one has tried to hurt anyone else.
Me and my cats, chilling by the back sliding door, enjoying some morning sunshine

From the picture, you can see that I am in the first phase of the Reverse Stripping method. My black saddle has been taken off first.

Hugs,
Kimi

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home