Wednesday, April 29, 2009

My Very First Clamming

On Monday, the tide was extremely low for the month of April, and Rob decided it would be a good day for Mum and I to have our very first clamming experience.
We took a shovel, some small spades and a bucket, hoping that we'd get lucky on the beach at Penrose Pt. Normally the tide was high, and we couldn't walk out to sea, but since the tide was low, a long stretch of high sands and rocks were exposed and we practically walked on the seabed for at least 2 miles out.
It was mucky and it smelled like the ocean, and there were all kinds of things on the seabed. Lots of wormies, clammies, broken shells, shrimpies, fishies and even crabs. It was so interesting for me, because I was smelling all sorts of things for the first time in my life. I was set off leash, and at first I stayed close to Rob and Mum, but after a little bit, I explored on my own, while keeping an eye on the humans, to make sure I wasn't losing them.
Hi Mum, I'm really enjoying myself out on the smelly beach. Count your lucky stars, I'm not rolling in the seaweed or on the mucky worms.
Then shock of all shocks, I saw a crab hiding under some seaweed. I barked at it, sniffed at it, and before I could play with it, Mum got so happy, she took it and put it in the pail. She said it's for dinner. Crabs are Mum's favorite food.
Then I saw this huge bird, it was a stork or heron of some sorts. It was fishing too. Looks like the low tide provides food for humans and birds alike. I saw it grab a medium sized fish in its beak, and it was very happy with itself. I tried getting close to it, but it would fly away before I got close. I wanted to say hi to Mr Birdie.
Watching Rob dig holes looking for clams.

When the tide was low, the seaweed seems so plenty. Mum and I wade into the water to get water for the clams in our pail. I took the chance to get my feet wet and stinky.

It was a lovely day for clamming, lots of sunshine, and no rain. Ok, can we play ball now? Who's going to chuck it for me?
Following Rob while we search for clam spurts.
There seems to be a technique to their hunting for clams. Look for a water spurt, dig in the spot as fast as possible, collect clam in bucket. I'm normally good at digging, and this clamming thing should come naturally to me, but I suck at digging in this area. It was wet, mucky and rocky. Not too fun for me to dig.
Then we chanced upon a 2nd crab. I wasn't going to let this one get off so easy. I was very intrigued by this creature. Mum said I should look at it carefully and play with it. So I did. I got close and it stuck out both its claws and the battle between Airedale and crab began.
I sniffed at it, and it moved. It clicked around and waved the claws around trying to get my nose. I was careful not too get too close. I barked at it, and even pawed at it too.
It was fun. He was clawing, and I was pawing.
He got close enough to grab my beard, but I was quick in my withdrawal. Those claws were too big and clumsy. I was swift and moved too fast for it to grab my beard. This crab has real courage to fight me.
The crab that would soon be dinner, clawing at me. What a brave fight!
After Mum thought I had enough fun, she put the crab into the bucket and the humans seemed really happy with themselves. They found 8 horse clams, and 2 crabs for dinner. Mum said I wasn't going to get any seafood.
All in all, I'd say that the clamming experience was a huge success. The humans got some food, and I got to play with so many strange things. Wading around the shallow coast was very fun, and to soak myself in the stinky sea was the best perfume experience for me too.

I hope we get to go clamming again real soon. When will we go to the real ocean Mum? We could have lots of fun at the ocean.

Hugs,
Kimi

8 Comments:

At 1:40 PM, Blogger Moco said...

The big red guy loves to go digging for clams at the ocean. Sometimes he does well and other times it is a bust. All in all it appears that you had a great day and that is what is important. Lucky that crab did not get stuck in your beard.

 
At 9:32 AM, Blogger Molly the Airedale said...

What a fun day you had, Kimi! We've never been clamming before! We're glad that bugger didn't pinch your nose!

Love ya lots,
Maggie and Mitch

 
At 11:12 AM, Blogger howard said...

You really have a good time searching for clams.. Hope it was fun! Have you read this article about zootoo & the shelter makeover? http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2009-04-12-zootoo-shelter-clash_N.htm

 
At 10:40 AM, Blogger Sherry said...

Greetings from fellow Washington Airedales. We're in Bothell and wish our person would take us out to hunt crabs, too!
Alanis & Miro

 
At 4:08 PM, Blogger Baby Rocket Dog and Hootie said...

That looks like it was a blast Kimi! The photo of you with the crab holding your beard was scarey. You must be very brave! So, did your people get any clams??
XOXO-
Baby Rocket Dog and Hootie

 
At 9:43 PM, Blogger Amber-Mae said...

Awww, no seafood for you after all that work of finding two tasty crabs for your hoomans? I think you deserve one of them. Yum! What a fun experience it was.

Smoochies,
Solid Gold Dancer + Puppies

 
At 10:28 AM, Blogger brigette said...

Kimi can I have some crabs? That's one of my favorite food!! And this is my favorite video, http://dogtime.com/dogs-just-know-sweepstakes.html

 
At 4:13 PM, Blogger Inky and Molly said...

That looks like fun! We haven't found crabs yet on our beach :( But it's always fun to have a play with some creepy crawly, smelly... half-dead, dead or alive thing....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home