Wednesday, January 30, 2008

My Raw Diet

Some of my friends who come to my blog are curious about my diet. So I figured I had to kick Mum's butt to get her to detail my diet for a week. She's been collecting photos of my food and of me eating, so you have an idea of what a raw fed dog eats in a regular week.
Monday
Minced lamb with bones, inc lamb organs, yoghurt, one raw egg, salmon oil, supplement
Total weight: abt 3lbs

Tuesday
Fast (no food)

Wednesday
Minced chicken with crushed bone, kelp supplement, one raw egg, salmon oil, supplement
Total weight: 2 lbs

Thursday
Pig tails (with bone)
Total weight: abt 2lbs

Friday
Chicken parts (with bone and skin) - 1 drumstick, 2 thighs, 2 wings, 2 chests, and a few misc un-identifiable parts
Total weight: abt 3lbs

Saturday
Fast (no food)

Sunday
Oxtail
Total weight: 1lb

Monday
Beef flanken, stewed carrots, stewed garlic, stew sauce
Total weight: 2lbs

Below are miscellaneous photos of me eating these meals over this past week.
Enjoying my favorite, stew sauce over anything, in this case, I've got flanken beef.

When I was little, Mum would help me by cutting the pieces up so that I didn't have to chew so much, cos I'm a slow eater (I take an hour or so to finish one meal), but now, she doesn't do that anymore. She says I'm old enough to work my teeth, gums and jaws. One of the benefits of eating raw food instead of kibble is the advantage of chewing long and continuously. The gums get good blood circulation and helps my teeth stay healthy. Also, the food that have ligaments and tendons work like floss.

Chewing on pigtails. They are meaty on the outside, with soft bones on the inside. Very crunchy and delicious.

Crunching a piece of a pigtail end

Yoghurt acts like a form of probiotics, helping to create the healthy environment in my tummy, making it full of enzymes necessary to break down raw meaty food. When I was a puppy, converting from kibble to raw, I had to have probiotics added to my raw food to hasten the process, so that I would stop having diarrhea during the 'healing period'. Now I no longer take probiotics since yoghurt does the same thing.

Mmmmm... yummy oxtail. Similar to pig tails, they are meaty on the outside, crunchy bones on the inside. There is also a bit of fat and its good for me in winter.

On a "Down-stay" command, waiting for Mum to give me the release "Free" command to begin eating. I always have to be put through a mini drill process before I am allowed to eat. Mum says I am learning my manners.

Eating Raw Food is good for me, because I am a canine, and I am a carnivore, but I also get to eat table scraps as treats. I get apple, seedless grapes, bread edges tho it happens seldom, pizza edges, and some other small bits and pieces of things. I also get treats, dried raw lamb lung, dried real meat jerkeys, hotdogs, and maybe I should post something on my treats too.



























And the best reason for me to go raw is my Poop. It is tiny and hard, like small little pebbles, about 1-2 inches in size and they are easy to pick up, and don't smell as pungent as mushy kibble poop.

The poop is hard when I have bone in my diet. When I eat only mince (like those from the supermarket) my poop gets mushy too, but Mum hates that, besides, bone is a necessary component for my diet. People have many misconceptions about bones and dogs. Raw bones are good, cooked bones are bad.
The reason why raw fed poop is so small is that most of the nutrients and good stuff have been absorbed by the body. On the other hand, kibble poop is massive because there's a lot of junk in that food that is not absorbed by the body, therefore turning to waste.

Love,
Kimi

8 Comments:

At 3:55 PM, Blogger Molly the Airedale said...

You don't get any dinner on Tuesday and Saturday, Kimi! How do you feel about that? We're clock watchers and when it's time to eat, we bug mom!
We thought grapes were poisonous for us to eat and that they caused kidney failure? How come you get grapes?

Love ya lots,
Maggie and Mitch

 
At 11:33 PM, Blogger Noah the Airedale said...

Oh wow your dinners look fantastic. We're raw fed too and we love it.

Hugs and tail wags
Noah Willow Tess & Lucy

 
At 11:36 PM, Blogger Noah the Airedale said...

Don't go overboard with the grapes Kimi, they're not good for dogs.

Noah

 
At 2:04 AM, Blogger Harry said...

You eat like a King Kimi! Ma's first Airedale Oscar was raw fed as he had lots of tummy problems when fed kibble, but sadly he died aged only 14 months last July from suspected pancreatitis despite ma and pa's efforts to keep him healthy. He did so much better when switched to a raw diet, but sadly it was not enough to prevent his death.

Cassidy and I are still fed biscuits (kibble) at present, though a high quality one, but I have tried some raw meat since coming to live here and I LOVED it. Maybe pester power will work to get us changed to raw ;-)

Ma says she thought the same about grapes as the others have said...

Toodle pip
Harry x

 
At 5:19 AM, Blogger Amber-Mae said...

Kimi, I'm curios to know why your hoomans make you fast on those two days? I think our tummies will feel weird if we suddenly cut off food on some days but I guess your tummy is used to it already. Is it becoz you go for training on those days & your hoomans want to make you work for food? Man, you sure eat a LOT of raw meatables! We are not allowed to eat raw meatables all the time becoz my hoomans don't trust 100% about raw meat. They say something bad can happen if we don't chew them properly. Oh, whatever! We get to chew raw pork bones once or twice a year just as treats. You like grapes too? I hope your hoomans peal the skin off before they give it to you beczo it's the skin that is poisonous, not the flesh according to a famous Purina Dog Nutritionist named Jill Cline. My hoomans went for a Nutrition talk & she said that grapes are NOT dangerous IF you peal the skin off. Onions are not that dangerous too! Surprise, surprise! She said, one dog ate one huge bag of raw onion rings & it did not die nor did it have to go the Emergency Hospital! It's still alive till today...Incredible! We should start stealing some onions from now onwards...We hate grapes! But we like chocolates, yum!

Love licks,
Solid Gold Dancer

 
At 1:43 PM, Blogger Kimi Wagner said...

Hi friends,

thanks for letting me know grapes are bad for me, Mum didn't know, but she's going to check it up. I don't eat regular meals every single day, I get fasted on 1 or 2 days a week and eat a lot more on other days. On average, I eat about 2% of my adult body weight(abt 1.3lbs daily). Even the amounts I eat at each meal varies.

I am fed this way because of the reasoning that in the wild, coyotes, wolves, lions, hyenas don't get to eat every single meal, every single day. They get fed when prey becomes available, and they gorge. In my household, I am fed according to the "prey model", as closely as possible to how I can be in the wild. It sounds warped, but I am content. I get more food the day before I get fasted or after the day I get fasted.

In any case, fresh high quality raw meaty bones (human grade) is much healthier than processed pet kibble, and Mum had to research this nutrition method for 2 years before starting.

I have been brought up being fed at irregular times of the day as well. Sometimes its lunch, dinner or supper. Clock watching is not a big thing in my family. In this way, I am used to it, and my parents get more flexibility in raising me, rather than sticking to a infant-like schedule.

I am fit, healthy, active, fun-loving and muscular. My coat is shiny and my eyes are bright. I don't have bad breath and I feel great. Thank goodness for the idea "Give a Dog a Bone".

Love,
Kimi

 
At 1:57 PM, Blogger erin said...

Kimi,
Your meals look terrific! You must tell my girl where she can buy me some ox tail!
I'm only fed raw in the evenings and in the mornings I get grain-free kibble. I get lots of other stuff too, like fruits and veggies and table scraps.
Your blog posts are very informative.
woof,
Keeley

 
At 7:08 PM, Blogger waterfall said...

Wonderful blog. Sensible advice, generously shared. I wish we didn't live on opposite coasts so we could hang out!

One question: What's in the "supplement" in the pics above (aside from the kelp and salmon oil)?

Thanks,

Xena in NYC

 

Post a Comment

<< Home