Friday, October 15, 2010

These are Our Chicks

Some of the following pics are a bit outdated, since it covers the time when the chicks were still indoors with us, but they were so darn cute, we just had to share them with you.

You'll see why Rummy has such a soft spot for them.
 That's Smokey, the Blue Cochin roo when he was teeny. From that young age of a few days old, Rummy and him have been tight, like the two pieces of chopsticks in a pair.

 Mum used to have these bonding sessions, which doubled up as training sessions, where we'd have to sit by the brooder and the chicks, and calmly socialize and interact with them. Rummy was only too pleased to do that, but I had better things to do. But Mum made me. So being the good Airedale that I am, I'd listen to mum, and did as she bid me.

 As you can obviously tell from the above pic, I could care less what the chicks were up to, but Rummy clearly relished every waking moment he could be with them.

 When Smokey came over and jumped onto my forearm, I let him, but I didn't want to pay him any attention. I was giving avoidance behaviors, such as not looking at him, hoping he'd lose interest in me too. But the chicks were really keen on cuddling up with us.

 I'll have to say that Smokey and Rummy were meant to be best friends. They've always been close, right from the very beginning.

 Smokey


 Smokey making himself very safe and comfortable, snuggling up into Rummy's armpit.

 Rummy gives Smokey kisses and licks.

 The happy Airedale and his blue Cochin chick.



 Furry and Feathered kindred souls.


 The chicks really amused Rummy to bits. I was really being cool about it. I've been to many places, experienced many different things, but chicks are really one of a kind. They are quite affectionate and bold actually. Who knew birds would have personalities?

 Rummy and his chicks

 Smokey, Ashley and Ebony




 Ivory and Ebony

 Smokey resting on Rummy's head
 Let's both take a nap together





Besides Cochin chicks, we also had 9 Polish chicks. 
 A gold laced Polish chick

 White crested Black polish chick.
In those early days, the Polish did not have any names assigned to them yet. 




 Whatchya looking at?


 They start climbing on our backs while they are young.



 That's me and 2 buff laced Polish chicks

The Polish chicks are now all grown up, as you can see from the other posts.. We'll post more to come. Stay tuned.

Hugs,
Kimi and Rummy

5 Comments:

At 3:42 PM, Blogger Rocky Creek Scotties and Rocky Creek Ramblings said...

Unbelievable!! They are so small, it's a wonder you didn't inhale one of them.

 
At 4:43 PM, Blogger The Airechicks said...

That Rummi - a chick magnet for sure!!!

Shelia - the boys are so good - and very loving....

XXoooXXoooXxo

 
At 2:47 AM, Blogger Molly the Airedale said...

Rummy is so good with his chicks! The pictures are just adorable!

Love ya lots,
Maggie and Mitch

 
At 11:29 AM, Blogger Sherry said...

How did your Polish chicks turn out? Maybe they're still too young to tell but I'm wondering because my Polish girls are the most territorial and aggressive of the bunch.

I saw a flamingo chick at Woodland Park Zoo yesterday! A ball of white fluff with stubby legs and a long beak.

 
At 5:17 PM, Blogger Kimi Wagner said...

Hi Sherry,

My Polish are now 3 months old, that's probably still too young right? So far, they are not the most aggressive, altho I do see them assert their dominance over the rest, and they tend to be more intimidating with the silkies. Hey, you're right, they tend to be more aggro, but I'm thinking this might be a breed thing, cos the Cochins are the sweetest.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home