Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Road Trip Down the Oregon Coast

My human has been going through a deep bout of depression and I have come to experience that humans hurt each other immensely. My Mum has been crying indefinitely and even though I do my best to sooth and comfort her, there is only so much a canine like myself can do.

Fortunately, a great opportunity came up for us to visit CA because Rob's parents needed help. The timing was good because it coincided with Mum's 34th birthday, and off we went down the Oregon Coast to be with the Great Pacific Ocean.
The ocean does something to one's soul. It humbles and it awes. Mum felt very tiny and insignificant when she stood by the ocean, but all I felt was jubilation. The wind swept her tears dry, and Mother Nature reminded her that nothing is permanent, even pain and hunger are transient illusions.

While we were at Cannon Beach, a lady was playing "Chuck it" with her dog. Well, "Chuck it" is my current favorite game, and I just couldn't resist joining in the fun.
Mum please let the pain go. Look at me, I'm having a ball of a time because the wind is blowing through my fur, and my ears are flying. Live in the moment.
Rob took a huge kelp plant from the beach and showed it to me. I was very uncertain about it, so I approached it cautiously. He said there was nothing to be afraid of, just give it a sniff, and I'll see. Indeed, there was nothing to be scared of. It was a stinky plant, that's all there was to it.
Another day, we were at Gold Beach, and I met 2 other dogs. They came out of nowhere and started sniffing my butt and invited me to play, and so I did. I didn't even know their names, or where they really came from, but I live in the moment, and so I just joined in the fun.

Then the most amazing thing happened. The mixed breed mutt started playing bitey face with me. Who knew that the mutt knew what bitey face was?! I have been searching hard for someone to play bitey face with me, and not many dogs like that game, so I was so surprised and happy that the mutt came and played rough with me.
We both had a ball of a time. It was SO fantastic.
The scenery at the dock was so beautiful and the sun was shining. Life is great for a dog.
In the evening, we went to another beach, and it was more secluded and quiet. I found a dead seagull and couldn't resist giving it a sniff and exploration.
It wasn't rotting yet, but some parts of the flesh was eaten cleanly off the body. I wondered what ate it. It was definitely dead and so I left it alone.

At the beach, I was given off leash time and I played "Chuck it" with Mum and Sticks with Rob.

There was so much sand and space at the beach, it was awe-inspiring. I decided to bury my ball, and see if that could be a good game.

Hi Mum. Here's my ball. Will you Chuck it for me?


Catching the ball with my agility and eye-mouth coordination.



Beautiful sunset and me digging more holes.
I'm glad I am with my human Mum. She is all that I need. Mum said that nothing else compares with me. Not all the gold and wealth in the world, not all the exotic places to visit, not even food, stability, or other humans can take my place. I am my Mum's first born canine, and I shall always be.
Then suddenly, I caught the scent of horses. I've seen these huge creatures several times before, but this was the first time I saw them on the beach, and I was "off-leash". I just had to investigate and run to them.
Mum and Rob called for me urgently, but I did not turn back. They were worried that the horses might be dog-shy, or kick their hind legs at me, and I might die, but I was smart enough to keep my distance.

Then I turned around, and came back to Mum. She told me very urgently, "No Horses" and I understood what she meant, but I really needed to check them out at close range. I've never been that close to horses before in my whole life. That was quite an adventure.
After all the memories on the beautiful beaches of Oregon, I needed to sleep through the night.
ZZZzzzzzzz........
When we entered Northern CA, we went to this place with Giant Redwood Trees. Some were so huge, they were bigger than cars. But the most amazing thing I saw was the elk.
The Elk were about a few hundred yards away and I could see them, hear them and smell them. But I did not utter a single sound, and I never made an attempt to get closer. First of all, I was on the leash, and that meant that I couldn't wander off at my own free will. And I guess, I had to respect elk too. They were huge!! Hmmm... I wonder what elk tastes like. Someday, I'd like to eat some elk.

Hugs,
Kimi

6 Comments:

At 1:47 PM, Blogger The Airechicks said...

Kimi:

Please give your Mum two "BIG AIREDALE HUGS" from us!!!!

Tell her she is loved and that makes everything better - so she shouldn't fret about things!!

OMDog what a WONDERFUL vacation you had - looks like so much fun!!!

Beach/Balls/Buddies = PRICELESS FUN!!!!

Thank you for sharing - hope you got plenty of rest so you can do it ALL over again again again....

XXXooooXXooooXXooXXoo

 
At 12:17 PM, Blogger Joe Stains said...

The Airechicks said you might need some cheering up and hugs, so here are some hugs and strength from two crazy Boston Terriers :) :)

*HUGS*

 
At 11:09 PM, Blogger Bogart H. Devil said...

Excellent action shots Kimi!!!

Love,
Bogart

 
At 6:42 PM, Blogger Sherry said...

How I love those action shots! All the photos are beautiful but those are just great. One thing about Airedales--they sure know how to have fun, so you have to smile even if you're feeling down.

 
At 7:02 PM, Blogger Kimi Wagner said...

(Sheila - Kimi's human mum) "Thank you all very much for your support, kind words, good thoughts and love. I really need as much good energy and love as possible, and I am very grateful for all your love."

Kimi is having a great time here in CA, as he has a buddy to play with and he's about to get a new baby brother.

 
At 10:35 PM, Blogger teresa said...

i want to go on another roadtrip with you and your mum again, Kimi! oh how i miss the ocean and the long empty roads and all the amazing things to see and experience.
tell your mum life is a roller coaster.
so very exciting that at the end of this trip you will have a new baby brother! congrats!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home